[Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet another unique and gameloss unit flags patch (PR#1

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: yet another unique and gameloss unit flags patch (PR#1324)
From: Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 07:52:49 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 06:16:23AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> I'm a bit confused. Shouldn't a GAMELOSS unit's loss end the game?
> Game Over. End. Done. Why are you worrying about what happens to the
> cities? Unfog the map, end the main loop, thanks for playing...

Sounds like you are thinking of a GAMEWIN unit not a GAMELOSS unit. For
the Dunedain, Aragorn might be a gameloss unit. For the Council of the
Wise or the Istari or the Elves, Gandalf might be a GAMELOSS unit. For the
Uruk-Hai, Saruman might be a GAMELOSS unit. For the Red Eye civ, Sauron
might be a GAMELOSS unit. But the One Ring might be a GAMEWIN unit.
Possibly if Sauron gets the Ring, its a win for Sauron a loss for EVERYONE
ELSE. A GAMEWIN would be a loss to everyone other than the winner. Like
the Space Race. That would make sense to end the game for everyone as
you're suggesting. But a GAMELOSS for a SPECIFIC CIV need not affect
everyone else. Do we end the game when any one civ is wiped out? Not
usually. Maybe if it was a GAMELOSS/GAMEWIN CIV, without which all the
other civs dont matter. But normally one civ losing does not end the game,
you need ALL "OTHER" CIVS to lose in order to end the game, and that is a
WIN. Hence my use of the term GAMEWIN.

Interesting in the LOR scenario though is that for Gandalf or Galadriel or
Elrond etc to "claim" the One Ring would not be a WIN for them, even
though it might be a "LOSS" for the their "side". Indeed it might be a
sort of civil war situation. Whereas the implication seems to be that if
Sauron claimed the Ring (he was the one who made it, afterall) then the
bonus to him would be so vast that the game might as well be ended rather
than play it out. Thus it is quite similar to the Space Race... one side
racing to destroy the Ring, the other side to get it into the hands of
their GAMELOSS Diplomat...

Blessed Be. -MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/