[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver not terminating (with conndlg-patch)

To: Michael Suess <mai99dsr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civserver not terminating (with conndlg-patch)
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 06:25:06 -0500

Michael Suess wrote:
Hi,

while the new freeciv-test release fixes my problems loading a game (as promised
:) ), I noticed that when I close a game using the close button of my window
manager, the civserver process is not terminated (as it should be in my
opinion). One could argue that the way it works now is better because it allows
to connect to the server again (in case of accidently closing the window).
However, when I do that the new control buttons are gone anyways, so there is no
way to close the server now (except the command line, which kinda defeats the
purpose of this patch). 3 solutions come to my mind:

It allows you to connect to the server again, which is mildly convenient.

It also doesn't terminate the server if someone else is connected to it, which is pretty much necessary.

Someone mentioned that games on civserver are given an option so that if nobody is connected to them for a while they automatically exit. Any game started through the conndlg should be given this option (over the pipe) upon launching.

1. When the client is closed, silently close the server as well.
2. Pop up a window asking whether to close the server.
3. leave a message on the console that the server is still open and grant
another player the priviledge of the control buttons (or the first new one
joining).

I would prefer 2 + 3.

Another option: kill the server only if no other players are connected to it. This is a lot more work than the workaround solution I mention above.

jason