[Freeciv-Dev] Re: units.ruleset docu patch 2

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: units.ruleset docu patch 2
From: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:36:03 -0800 (PST)

--- "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is version two, which adds documentation for roles and fixes some
> things commented on in the previous patch. Please read.

I like it. Very well executed. It should go in. Just a few minor nitpicks

> -description="Default unit_type data for Freeciv (as Civ2, minus a few
> units)"
> +description="Default unit_type data for Freeciv"

I could have sworn we were still missing Fanatics.

> +; obsolete_by   = can be upgraded to and made obsolete by another unit by
> name

This is implemented in a very annoying way. Phalanx obsolete warriors, but
Pikemen do not. Since Pikemen obsolete phalanx, and phalanx obsolete warriors,
gaining feudalism should result in the removal of warriors. This really annoys
me!

Basically, I would like like to see some intelligence in deciding if units are
obsolete. If A is made obsolete by B, and B is made obsolete by C, if you gain
the ability to build C, A should also be made obsolete.

>  ; move_type     = "Land" or "Sea" or "Air" or "Heli"

You need to mention the difference between Heli and Air. Heli can take over a
city square with no defenders whereas Air cannot.

> +; fuel          = number of turns air units can fly before they crash. For
> +;                 barbarians this is used as lifetime instead

Is it number of turns? I thought it was number of tiles they can move across in
2 turns.

Very well written below.

> +; "Carrier"  = can transport air and missile units, but not land units
> +; "Missile_Carrier" = can transport only missiles, but no land units

Like I said, this is a bad implementation. It would make more sense to make
Carrier an air unit only transport. If someone wanted to duplicate the current
functionality of aircraft carriers, he would have to use both flags, Carrier
and
Missile_Carrier.

At the very least, there is a need for aircraft only transport.

> +; "Fighter"  = can attack airborne units (no other units can normally do
> this)

What restrictions are on this flag? If I create a a new unit, called SAM
battery, with same stats as mech inf(it is a ground unit) but with this flag,
can it attack fighters?

> +; "Settlers" = can irrigate and build roads

So we can have worker units that only build and irrigate.

> +; "AttackStrong"= AI hint: strong attacker (unused)

Why the hell not? Should be used for battleships and howitzers and tanks.