[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wishlist: Automatically increasing timer (PR#1298)

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wishlist: Automatically increasing timer (PR#1298)
From: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 00:28:25 -0600

attached is a toy patch which allows you to have an increasing timer
with rather flexible options. The reason that it's a toy patch is that
you must set the options in the source and then recompile.

Reason for this: it requires four new server options and an extra state
variable in a savefile. Also, I just wanted to get this out here, so
there could be some discussion as to the effectiveness of this solution
(i.e. is it flexible enough for everybody?)

An better way to do this would be to condense the four new variables
into 1 or even into game.timeout. This would require hacking stdinhand
to handle multivariable options:

set timeout 30 25 0 30 30

or

set timeout 30  # with the rest as defaults

for example. The nice thing is that registry.c handles this type of
thing ok (apparently), so savegames are not the big issue.

Per, you want to have a go at this? You were just fooling around with
stdinhand...

-mike

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 08:00:29AM -0800, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> (registrering this as a wishlist item)
>
> From: Steve Payne <spayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Very close. I like your idea of an algorithm for gradual increases. After
> further thought if I had to come up with an algorithm it would be
>
> Server time = X +  int ((elapsed time in minutes / 30) * Y)

elasped time is no good since we have to take into consideration
savegames.

> where
> -    All times are quoted in seconds
> - X = the minimum value of a turn which I suggest to be 30 secs. This is
> set for the whole game.
> - Y = 30 until Server time is >= 90 seconds, then Y becomes 15 (slower
> increases)
>
> notes.
> After 1/2 hours play the timer should be at 1 min a move
> After 1 hours play the timer should be at 1 min 30 secs a move
> After 1.5 hours play its at 1 min 45 secs
> After 2 hours play its at 2 mins a move where it should be capped.
>
> Now if you really want me to be happy - each turn every player gets 1 sec
> Custom time. Show the amount of accrued custom time near the timer on the
> client and place a button there called '10 secs more'. If the user presses
> this and has a balance of >=10 secs their tally is reduced by 10 secs and
> 10 secs are added to the system timer FOR THAT TURN ONLY. This would allow
> extended turns for when the fighting becomes fierce. The button can be
> pressed by all players as many times as needed per turn until thier tally
> runs out.

good idea, but will take considerably more effort.

-mike