Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] I can reproduce the gradual memory leak you can't reproduc

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] I can reproduce the gradual memory leak you can't reproduce (PR#1287)
From: jonadab@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 21:26:10 -0800 (PST)

Full_Name: Nathan Eady
Version: 1.12.0
Client: Gtk+
OS: Linux Mandrake 8.1, also Windows 95 (Cygwin/XFree client), also Windows 98
SE (native client)
Submission from: (NULL) (209.143.57.90)

You know the memory leak that keeps getting reported that you can't
reproduce?  I've seen it in the Gtk client on Linux and also in the
Cygwin/XFree client on Windows 95.

First, the raw numbers:
Memory:  160MB
Swap:    256MB
Minimum time to run out of swap space:
     about an hour and ten minutes

This *seems* to be related to building a lot of cities,
perhaps, because when I got engineers I quit building
so many cities (and started terraforming in earnest
instead), and the leak seemed to vanish.  But that
could be coincidence.  I have no experience with
memory profiling (and very very little knowledge of
C), but if someone can give me a few pointers, I'd
like to help nail this down.