Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2002:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: test

To: Mike Kaufman <kaufman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: test
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:17:12 -0500

I should just fill you in on what happened earlier.

First, /var filled up due to an attack on the HTTP server (the logfile filled up the partition -- it was that much!) That was fixed within 5 minutes of starting, and between 1-3 messages total on the system were affected. Things in /var have been moved around to prevent this from happening again.

Later, one of the other lists on the system was pounced upon due to one subscriber's misconfigured vacation autoresponder, which created a massive mail loop. (Yes, it managed to get by every safeguard against this! Each message even had a new Message ID...) This didn't cause any messages to be lost, but conceivably could have slowed down delivery for this list. That problem has also been corrected.

In short, it's been a rough day over here.  Should be behind us now.

-- John