[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isotrident 7

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Isotrident 7
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 04:55:24 +0000 (WET)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Daniel L Speyer wrote:

> I've just released Isotrident 7 on ftp.  This features improved mountains,
> redone rivers, and I forget what all else.  Screenshot at
> wam.umd.edu/~dspeyer/isotrident.jpg
>
> I'm not sure what to do about hills.  The current Isotrident ones are
> simply resizzed Hires.  This means they are different in both shape and
> color from the Trident ones.  It occurs to me that the brownish hills
> make a nicer color contrast than the greyish/greenish ones from
> trident. I've posted a screenshot at
> wam.umd.edu/~dspeyer/isotrident-hilly.jpg
>
> I see four possibilities:
>
> Leave them alone -- This is a serious possibility, they do look pretty
> good.
>
> Turn the base plainsish -- This would mean no strange color-shift in the
> lowlands beside the hills.
>
> Recolor the hills -- This would match the trident idea, though not the
> specific shape
>
> Redraw the hills like the forests -- Probably the closest match to
> Trident, but I'm not sure how well it will work.
>
> What does everybodyelse think?

Leave the hills as they are. I think the base of the mountains could be
darker a notch, but what i feel could be most improved is the blending
between tiles. The contrast shown in the edges of the tiles is too harsh.
Especially between grassland and plains.
The forests look nice enough except they don't contrast as much as on
trident because you downscaled them a bit. Please increase the dark bevel
around the trees to make them stand out more in a cartoonish kind of way.
The rivers could also be touched up a bit, but that's not very important
right now.

---