[Freeciv-Dev] Re: fix for isometric scrolling problem (PR#1222)

To: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: fix for isometric scrolling problem (PR#1222)
From: Jason Short <vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:41:25 -0500

Ross W. Wetmore wrote:

I think there are some problems with the isometric scaling additions.
The two scrollbars are not independent, but constrained by the fact
that the iso view cannot move to all positions. This is not a problem
if the scrollbars are handled in standard map coordinates, or maybe
I should say not as much. This will reverse with iso-maps.

Yes, you can see this problem in iso-view: if you slide all the way to the top, the mapview will push against the north pole and you'll have to move horizontally to account for it.

There's a comment about this in the code.

This doesn't seem to take that into account. Moreover since you are
setting up a new interface, you should pass in both current slider
positions and deal with things in a proper 2-D fashion.

This would be better, yes. This might require tracking the slider positions separately (from GTK), though; I haven't looked into retrieving their values from GTK.

Technically the scrollbars only have a range of the map size minus the
current canvas size, or some BB enclosing it.

No: in GTK the scrollbar has a range of the map dimension in a particular direction, plus EXTRA_BOTTOM_ROW if necessary. Then the slider itself takes a width of the current canvas size. This means you'll end up with the same effect you have above.

xaw does not appear to work this way, but win32 does. However, it should be possible for the GUI to subtract off the extra value to deal with it if necessary.

The current calculations are also a fairly confusing mess of special
cases. Again, if one goes to a new set of functions, I think they need
to be done with some obvious improvements, rather than just generating
code that now needs ot be fixed again.

The only special case is that it assumes the current dimensions of the map.

The calculations aren't explained particularly well in the code, though. I basically convert the coordinates into native positions, shift them to be on the correct scale, and then compress them. This could be accomplished with some straightforward backend topology functions:
  map_to_iso_pos()
  get_min_iso_x()
  get_min_iso_y()
  get_range_iso_x()
  get_range_iso_y()
Note this requires both dimensions, as you describe. But it is clearly a better (topology-independent) way to do it.

This could possibly be extended even further, to compressed native GUI coordinates, but that's probably overkill.

With some more work this might be quite useful.

I think it's quite useful as-is :-). It will certainly need improvements to be workable under different topologies, though.

jason