[Freeciv-Dev] Re: server console cleanup patch v2

To: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: server console cleanup patch v2
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:06:15 +0100 (MET)

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Raimar Falke wrote:
> I'm not sure if I understand you all the way. However I want to point
> out that all the data for an option is now quite nicely put in one
> place (server/stdinhand.c). So what is the advantage to move things
> out of this file?

In itself, there is no advantage. However, if you put the game settings
into a ruleset, push this ruleset to the clients, and allow them to
request changes to it, as I have described it, this will allow full,
upwards-compatible client control over the server settings through a
registry dialog.

> > Gives you all you need without a client. Among these rules can be eg
> > aifill and create (ie moving commands into ruleset).
>
> And where does an operator/admin can issue a "wall" command?

In the client? I think we can safely assume that the server will either be
operator-less or the operator will use a client.

Yours,
Per

"Oil industry spokesmen dismissed as "absurd" and "nonsense" allegations
by aid experts, veteran East Africa analysts and several prominent Somalis
that President Bush, a former Texas oilman, was moved to act in Somalia,
at least in part, by the U.S. corporate oil stake." -- L.A. Times