[Freeciv-Dev] Re: he server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop

To: sigra@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: he server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop in the allocation of starting positions (PR#1135)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:30:12 +0100

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:46:59PM -0800, sigra@xxxxxxx wrote:
> I just tried the new feature with unseparated poles. I got this:
>
> 0: The server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop in the allocation
> of starting positions, and will abort.
> Please report this bug at http://www.freeciv.org/
> Avbruten (SIGABRT)
>
> Could it be that it tries to put a player on a pole continent that is not
> connected to more land?
>
> Here is the part of the patch I guess is wrong:
>
> -  /* don't want them starting on the poles: */
> -  if (map_get_continent(x, y)<=2 && map.generator != 0)
> +  /* don't want them starting on the poles unless the poles are
> +     connected to more land: */
> +  if (map_get_continent(x, y)<=2 && map.generator != 0 && map.poles)
>      return 1;
>
> Does this code check that the pole IS actually connected to more land? It
> seems like it just checks if the pole COULD be connected to more land
> according to the map.poles rule.

I can't reproduce this with a few (100) runs with the following
-------------
set timeout -1          # run a server only autogame
set aifill 10
create Caesar
set separatepoles 0
set endyear -4000
start
passed via -r.

Do you have a way to reproducible cause the error? Either with
specific seeds or other options?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Premature optimization is the root of all evil."