[Freeciv-Dev] Re: server console cleanup patch v2

To: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: server console cleanup patch v2
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 18:28:25 +0100

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 06:30:44PM +0100, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> Changed since last patch:
>  - several minor changes
>  - rewrote & simplified show_player func in stdinhand.c
>
> TODO
>  - need to disallow or escape " in player input, or this will screw up
>    parsing
>  - more fixes like I did to show_player are needed to get arguments
>    properly presented in rfcstyle
>
> I've been thinking about translations, since I still got strings in the
> arguments given to client through rfcstyle that are translated. The best
> thing I could think of is simply that the client forks the server with the
> same locale as it has. That way the i10n problem is solved also for
> argument contents.
>
> The new player list works as follows:
>       > list
>       List of players:
>       ----------------------------------------------------------
>       a (AI, difficulty level easy, nation Mordors, state Alive)
>       b (AI, difficulty level easy, nation Dutch, state Alive)
>       ----------------------------------------------------------
>       > rfcstyle
>       100
>       > list
>       100 "a" "AI" "easy" "Mordors" "Alive"
>       100 "b" "AI" "easy" "Dutch" "Alive"
>

> Please read and comment. Is it worthwhile to continue this way, or should
> I rather be spending my time on something else?

Good question. Well. What do you want to achieve? You want to make the
parsing of the server output easier. Correct?

               text
   controller <-----> server command line         binary
                      server core            <-------------> client

If client and controller are the same program and the client is
connected the commands and replays can be done on the normal binary
protocol. However you would need to use the text interface if the
controller is standalone (maybe however in this case it can just
create a "dummy" binary/client connection) or the client isn't
connected yet to the server (can be solved by connecting the client).

How far did I got this right?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Microsoft does have a year 2000 problem. I'm part of it. I'm running Linux.