[Freeciv-Dev] Sound patch v3 (needs testing)

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Sound patch v3 (needs testing)
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 02:20:58 +0100 (MET)

To use, you need stdsounds.tar.gz from freeciv incoming ftp, or original
sounds from civ 2.

Changes since v2
  - plugins can now be changed on the fly
  - clients can get a list of plugins with description
  - better regression test ("make check")
  - nuke behaviour changed: now all players get nuke message and sound
    (using nukes is supposed to be outrageous after all! and it is not
    like something you can easily hide)
  - sound hooks added to huts, paradrop, quitting, game loss, unit
    attack, unit movement, nation selection, revolution, city building,
    building sales... maybe i forgot some too
  - can play random sounds (mostly annoying but can be fun too);
    currently disabled (client maintainers must add timer hooks)
  - much improved stdsounds package (found more license-ok sounds,
    but the few sounds from freeciv ftp i used earlier have been
    removed)
  - much improved civ2sounds set
  - wonders have generic fallback sound
  - capability added (set to mandatory, since i changed three packets)
  - a few asserts added

Remains to be done before CVS
  - code review
  - testing
  - tweaking & tuning (my defaults are probably ANNOYING)
  ...SOMEONE?

Remaining to be done regardless of CVS
  - more sounds and sound hooks
  - support for random sounds in clients (if desired)
  - proper support for music soundtracks (except we don't have any, so at
    the moment this point is moot)

Outstanding bugs
  - esound occasionally complains about not having a player for sample,
    but it does (just annoying, spams command-line). probably my fault.
  - the sound dirs on the freeciv ftp should probably just be nuked. i
    don't dare use anything there anyway. removing it all with a note on
    the www on why could push people to reupload with proper copyright
    note.
  - if sounds with long tails of silence are used, the client may be
    slow to quit. the proper solution is probably to timeout in the
    wait func, but cutting off silence at end of .wavs will also help

Yours,
Per

PS I have made an aliens sound set for fun. Just a few sounds extra. I
believe sounds are ok under fair use but keep it on my own server out of
sight until I'm sure sure: http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~permath/aliens.tar.gz
Use this if you want to implement & test the random func.