[Freeciv-Dev] Re: flying AI (PR#1162)

To: Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: flying AI (PR#1162)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:02:01 -0500

At 01:51 AM 01/12/29 -0800, Raahul Kumar wrote:

>--- Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Dear diary, on Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 07:40:18AM CET, I got a letter,
>> where Raahul Kumar <raahul_da_man@xxxxxxxxx> told me, that...
>> > Some additional titbits for you. Hope this makes the function clearer.
>> > I strongly suspect you want me to explain the
>> >
>> > else b0 = ((b * a - f * d) * SHIELD_WEIGHTING / (a + d)) -
>> > 1412 c * (unhap ? SHIELD_WEIGHTING + 2 * TRADE_WEIGHTING :
>> SHIELD_WEIGHTING);

>Desire, is this like want? I assume the 0-100 stuff all applies here, I just
>wish I knew exactly how all these weights interact to decide what gets built.

*_WEIGHTING values are things like food/shields/trade = 18/14/12 that give
a relative bias to some resources over others. Trade is always the lowest,
and generally food is more important than shields (if you grow you can get
more shields, but choosing shields in preference leads to stagnation).

This is complicated by the fact that food is not a static WEIGHTING, but
amortized so it decreases in importance as the size of the food box grows
(which is another reason to boost it initially, and probably a bad thing
to have done anyway). Thus, if you look carefully, the food formulas are
always optimized a little bit differently with cryptic comments to drive
you crazy if you don't understand this basic point.