[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server from Client

To: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Server from Client
From: Chris Richards <chrisr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Dec 2001 11:30:28 -0600

The IMAP RFC 2060 assumes asynchronous communication.  It isn't the
easiest thing to keep track of, but it may be a sufficient model to
use to make sure that responses are tracked.

This is primarily done by prefixing each client command with an
identifier.  This tag is typically incremented by one on each client
command.

Server data is not prefixed from my recollection, though the client
had to expect messages that were not results.  I suspect an extension
of the protocol to follow that of the client may work (or that both
are "clients" when sending and "servers" when receiving).

Granted, the IMAP protocol was a pain-in-the-rump to code to, but
something analogous may solve the problem.

Cheers,
/cjr