[Freeciv-Dev] he server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop in

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] he server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop in the allocation of starting positions (PR#1135)
From: sigra@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:46:59 -0800 (PST)

I just tried the new feature with unseparated poles. I got this:

0: The server appears to have gotten into an infinite loop in the allocation
of starting positions, and will abort.
Please report this bug at http://www.freeciv.org/
Avbruten (SIGABRT)

Could it be that it tries to put a player on a pole continent that is not
connected to more land?

Here is the part of the patch I guess is wrong:

-  /* don't want them starting on the poles: */
-  if (map_get_continent(x, y)<=2 && map.generator != 0)
+  /* don't want them starting on the poles unless the poles are
+     connected to more land: */
+  if (map_get_continent(x, y)<=2 && map.generator != 0 && map.poles)
     return 1;

Does this code check that the pole IS actually connected to more land? It
seems like it just checks if the pole COULD be connected to more land
according to the map.poles rule.