[Freeciv-Dev] Re: XML (OT)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: XML (OT)
From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, 07 Dec 2001 18:47:30 -500

Originally to: David B. Smith

Dear diary, on Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at
06:28:52PM CET, I got a letter, where
Andrew Sutton <ansutton@xxxxxxx> told me,
that...
Baudis wrote:
> > They say something about impossibility of
parsing C or perl syntax by yacc.
> > Well, dunno about yacc but it's then
really funny that both perl and gcc
> > use bison, isn't it? And, honestly, even
when writing IMHO relatively
> > complex grammar using bison, I never got
into those problems.

> having worked extensively with compilers in
the last month or two, i can say
> *without* doubt that there are just some
grammars that yacc/bison are
> incapable of parsing. it has to do with the
algorithm used to for descent.
> yacc/bison generates bottum-up LALR(1)
parser - it's just insufficient for
> sufficiently complex grammars. don't forget
that you can manipulate a grammar
> specification to help resolve shift/reduce,
reduce/reduce and other various
> ambiguities or infite recursion issues. you
can also approximate some aspects
> of the grammar thru code. so they're
probably right. it may be impossible to
> parse the C and perl syntaxes as specified,
but for lack of a better tool,
> they make up for the shortcomings with more
complex grammar implementations
> (like a fixed token lookahead).
Erm, another question, will we make some
complex grammar for our config file?
;)

> > > both cases have their weak points. xml
isn't very expressive and it's not
> > > really mean to be. writing your own
parser will provide a more
> > > specialized language but is going to be
a pain in the ass - regardless of
> > > how easy it is or how much experience
anybody has.

> > I don't think so :).
>
> alot of it is going to have to deal with
specification of the grammar itself.
> it's not easy to write the perfect grammar
first time out, because you're
> going to miss something. then, going back
and adding might prove to be
> somewhat difficult and its possible that
you could break all the existing
> scripts/files by changing a rule to
accomodate your addition.
Then your change will be rejected/reverted
later ;).

--

                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis

UN*X programmer, UN*X administrator, hobbies
= IPv6, IRC, FreeCiv hacking
.
  "A common mistake that people make, when
trying to design
   something completely foolproof is to
underestimate the
   ingenuity of complete fools."