[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tech cost patch v13 (PR#1082)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Tech cost patch v13 (PR#1082)
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 16:23:56 -0500

Juha Litola <slave@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I think special case is a bad expression for describing it. Style 1
is an algorithm for calculating costs. Style 2 is picking costs by hand.
By your definition, all algorithms would be special case of style 2.

Well, in Style 0, the cost of any given tech generally cannot be determined in advance, therefore it is not a special case of style 2.

Problem with style 2 is that you need to change costs by hand and
that is tedious. On the other hand, if we supply some algorithms for
calculating, style of play can be changed easily by switching one
ruleset option.

I agree style 1 might be useful even though it is a special case.

I agree on using game.researchcost for style 2 also. Line
      cost = advances[tech].preset_cost;

on tech.c function tech_cost should be changed to
      cost = advances[tech].preset_cost * game.researchcost /
      DEFAULT_RESEARCHCOST;

That way ruleset maker can use real costs and costs can still be modified.

That would certainly work.

Mike