[Freeciv-Dev] Re: buglet in normalization ininit_new_game() (PR#1063)

To: "freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: buglet in normalization ininit_new_game() (PR#1063)
From: vze2zq63@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 02:52:30 -0500

"Ross W. Wetmore" wrote:

> Note, that since game coordinates are not trigonometric a circle
> is a rather odd beast in Freeciv. I'm not sure where you would
> really want to use it.

Logically, that is correct.  However, AFAICT _everything_ in FreeCiv is
a circle.  I challenge you (a rather weak challenge; I'm sure you can do
it given enough time) to come up with one shape that is not a circle.
City areas and unit vision are all circles, as is (apparently) the
"initial vision" area.  I wouldn't want to change this.

> If you want all positions of constant distance from a centre in
> Freeciv, this is actually a square border :-).

True, yet circles are still used (and are much prettier IMO).  Go
figure.  It's been suggested that for increasing vision (as from a
watchtower) circles should also be used.  circle_iterate would then be
useful here (in vision code) as well.

jason