[Freeciv-Dev] building gtk client under cygwin

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] building gtk client under cygwin
From: James Wilson <fat_hot@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 01:18:26 -0500

at http://www.freeciv.org/windows/#QA3 I see a gtk/non-X-windows binary package which includes gtk1.3 DLLs (gtk 1.3.0.5 I think). I'd like to try to build this myself, with or without X (whichever's easier), so I can try out some of the latest patches. I don't really know how the binaries were built and so have been sort of randomly trying different combinations of 'configure' options and library versions, to no avail.

For instance, I can build freeciv, glib and gtk 1.2 from source, but glib's own test program segfaults on startup, never mind freeciv. the README.win32 for glib and gtk 1.2 even says "don't use 1.2, it's evil on win32, use 1.3". The win32 gtk page at http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/new-downloads.html has binary packages for gtk/glib 1.3 and a couple of others, but no imlib - and imlib 1.9.10 and 1.9.11 fail to build against said binary packages due to a missing gdk/gdkx.h. One option would be to build imlib against 1.2 and use it with 1.3, but I'm pretty sure God will smite me if I do that.

Is there a "how to build on windows" document somewhere that I'm missing?

James