[Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ 3 impressions

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: civ 3 impressions
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <Per.Inge.Mathisen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:11:25 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> My thought on this is that you should be able to call up a map of your
> civilization (or use the main map somehow...) and use a sort of "editor"
> on it.  This would be similar to a map-creator's editor, but much less
> powerful.  The edits you can do to this map would be limited to the
> functions that a worker/settler/engineer/former (call it what you like)
> can perform, given your current level of technology.
>
> Your changes to the map would be the instructions to your workers.

If you do _that_, why not mostly dispense with workers? For example, some
buildings (Marketplace, Superhighways, King Richard's, etc) could give
"build points", and then a key allows you to use those build points on the
main map to construct roads and irrigation and stuff within a certain city
radius (or an advisor might do this for you). Then you can have workers
to build fortresses and roads outside that city range.

Less micromanagement.

Yours,
Per

"if something vanishes from your house, you won't know if it was a thief or the
government" -- Richard Stallman