[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Nations + Feeling

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Nations + Feeling
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 16:45:00 -0600

On Wed, Nov 07, 2001 at 04:57:39PM -0500, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> What did the custom nation selection let you do?  Did you pick from a
> longer list of nations, or did you have (get?) to enter everything about
> the nation?

        You had to enter everything.  (Everything, in this case included
the Ruler Name, Titles for the various Governments, and not much else.)
But if you wanted to play as Admiral Crideikei of the Dolphins,
Microscopic Staphylococcus of the Bacteria, or any other completely
whimsical nation, the game producers did not have to anticipate that whim,
and you did not have to go through an arcane and possibly laborious effort
to modify existing game data files.

> A significant amount of work has gone into compiling the list of cities
> and other information about each nation.  It would be a waste, IMO, not
> to let the end-user use this information.

        Right.

> The truly "correct" solution IMO would have a short list of nations sent
> server->client, with a button labelled "full list" that brings up the
> full encyclopedic list (preferably sorted into categories) that is build
> from the client's data (that is, not sent from the server).  A separate
> button may allow the creation of a "custom" nation (although I'm still
> not sure how that would work); presumably this custom nation could then
> be added to the client's existing "full list" of nations.

        Presumably.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."