[Freeciv-Dev] PNG support for the Xaw client

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] PNG support for the Xaw client
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:42:20 +0100 (WET DST)

I've made this patch for the Xaw client that allows it to load PNG
tilesets. I've tested it on 24bit and 8bit displays.

For now it only works with paletted PNGs. To convert an RGB PNG to one
with a palette you can use pngquant:

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/apps/pngquant.html

The problem with paletted PNGs is that they support only images with
up to 8bits colour resolution. All the tilesets that currently are in CVS
are 8bits or less. The advantage of this PNG type is that the files are
usually much smaller.

I still haven't updated configure.in and i hacked my client/Makefile to
compile it :-)
That should be updated soon. About supporting 24bit PNG files... Does
anyone consider that to be of importance? IMHO if you have a 24bit display
and want to use big 24bit tiles you can use the gtk+ client instead.

This patch needs libpng and libz to run.

---