[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Remove map_adjust_[xy] invocations fromserver (PR#1

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Remove map_adjust_[xy] invocations fromserver (PR#1003)
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 00:04:39 -0400

At 10:06 AM 01/10/16 +0200, Raimar Falke wrote:
>On Mon, Oct 15, 2001 at 09:23:44PM -0400, Ross W. Wetmore wrote:
[...]
>> Some bugs were decidedly non-trivial to figure out as they involved
>> several layers of function calls betwen the bug and the failure point.
>> Moreover like the above you really only find them in special conditions
>> which most games do not exercise.
>>
>> The example above is very straightforward, will happen all the time at the
>> poles. Unless you have set an assert, you may not really notice the dither
>> is screwed up, unless memory allocations put the map in a bad spot so the
>> off map reference is bad - but this is likely a dynamic condition and won't
>> really be that reproducible if so.
>
>So you agree that we should switch to an assert and take to time till
>the next release to catch the remaining bugs.

Running with asserts in a development tree is good. You will need to do
this for awhile. It also helps to run in flat-earth mode, or manually
test with border cases (i.e. cities and units doing things on the wrap
and non-wrapped edge tiles). The is_wet and pollution problems only came
to light when this was done *and* the game ran long enough to do such
things. It helps to go grepping once you find a new type of problem.

You probably shouldn't do this to CVS until you are pretty sure most
games are safe, i.e. you really have caught most of the things.

You might also look at some of the things you did before Oct 12. I left
a number of the changes out, fixed a few more in passing, and still had
several cores after merging in the last 2 weeks of CVS changes :-).

[...]