[Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: load_map_data macro (PR#1012)

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: PATCH: load_map_data macro (PR#1012)
From: Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 08:38:52 +0200

On Sun, Oct 14, 2001 at 10:45:21PM -0400, Jason Dorje Short wrote:
> Raimar Falke wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 04:36:08PM -0700, jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > wrote:
> > > The attached patch implements a LOAD_MAP_POS macro.  It then makes code
> > > replacement like replacing
>
> > > +static const char dec2hex[] = "0123456789abcdef";
> >
> > hex2dec and dec2hex may not be the best names. What about print_hex
> > and scan_hex (parse_hex)? These method are just short and much more
> > faster versions of sprintf and sscanf.
>
> hex2dec and dec2hex as they are now are correctly named, I think.  They
> don't compare to sprintf and sscanf; they convert a hex to/from a
> character rather than a string.  Or perhaps I don't quite understand
> what you're saying?

dec2hex is wrong. It isn't the converting between two number systems
but rather a binary2ascii_hex. One side of the convertion is a
hex string/char and the other is a number in the internal
representation of the computer. This internal number doesn't have a
number system. It isn't decimal.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  +#if defined(__alpha__) && defined(CONFIG_PCI)