[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] next_step_on_line

To: Gregory Berkolaiko <gberkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Patch] next_step_on_line
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 20:36:20 -0400

I think you are both still making the foolish mistake of assuming
straightest_direction() is only useful for doing straightest_line().

The two really are different.

And all the optimized flavours of straightest_line() should be handled
by warmap computations with different move_cost or constraint
parameters.

The only real use for straightest_line() is as a quick, crude estimate,
or in the case where you are not concerned about any move_cost effects.

Please make sure you leave a (fixed) straightest_direction() in the
code for those that need it.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

At 05:12 PM 01/10/06 +0100, Gregory Berkolaiko wrote:
> --- Raimar Falke <hawk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The attached patch is my conclusion to the very long
>> straightest_direction thread. And yes the _optimal_ solution to this
>> whole problem can be put in a 110 lines patch.
>>
>> It didn't show any failures during my testing.
>>
>> If there no objections I will apply it and and finally close this
>> thread.
>
>Please do.
>
>However the straightest direction is only used for connecting (roads and
>RRs) and I plan to write a more flexible method for it in the nearest
>future.
[...]