[Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs

To: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: suggestion for smaller dialogs
From: "Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 12:58:40 -0400

Buttons, are useful for context insensitive actions like
PREVIOUS/NEXT/CANCEL (and it would really be useful if listed
objects like city reports had the first two for cycling through
the list).

The operation of SELECT and BUTTON action is a really poor
paradigm as (amongst other reasons)
1) it requires significant mouse movement from the select to
   the button location.
2) it means context sensitive actions for different selected
   types are not possible or require additional effort to grey
   out irrelevant buttons.
3) the labels require significant permanent real estate on the
   base display.

A better paradigm is a context sensitive popup menu on SELECT with
the double click executing the default action. The menu can be
tailored to resolve all the above characteristics cleanly.

If in addition, you wanted some visible hints to possible actions
that work on a selection, you could group a set of drop down menu
buttons for various categories of operations or actions ("Orders",
"Reports", ...) across the top, bottom or side depending on your
preference.

In such a system, the German menus could carry the full ToolTip
help message without impacting the base display or Menu flavours
for more compact languages.

Cheers,
RossW
=====