[Freeciv-Dev] suggestion on how to improve the game

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] suggestion on how to improve the game
From: Lukasz Szelag <lszelag@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 13:14:47 -0500

Hello,

I have one suggestion that would improve this great game.

I think that adding the ability to notify players about events (such as a new
player has joined)
in the pregame state would be an excellent idea. Preferably it could be done be
displaying a popup
window. I have been playing this game many times and from this perspective I
can tell that it is
very common that once a player connects to the server he is waiting for more
players to join. In
the meantime he usually does some other tasks and may not nottice that another
player(s) joins the
game. People who join the game usually exit if they don't see any "activity" in
the chat window
(or nobody is responding). I'm using Linux and multiple workspaces and usually
start freeciv on
its own workspace. When I'm doing other things (in a different workspace) I may
not notice when
players join and possibly miss the fact that the game has been started by
someone already. For that
reason adding the ability to subscribe to various events (as for now I can see
"a player joined"
event very appropriate) would be a nice feature. When I'm on a different
workspace I could see a
popup window and immediately switch to freeciv.

Luk