[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (no subject)

To: <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (no subject)
From: Karl-Ingo Friese <kif@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:27:30 +0200 (CEST)

Hmm, couldnt you hae started this dicussion before I spend the time
to redo the patch for the CVS ? After all Vasco asked for it
some weeks ago and I send an email "if the patch is still wanted" on
saturday.

On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:43:17PM +0200, Karl-Ingo Friese wrote:
> Is there really a space problem? The new dialog looks a bit like "this
> is a technical dialog and technical dialogs have no decoration but
> hold only the cold facts". And yes the removed information were mostly
> superfluous.

Yes. There realy is a space problem. As already stated on the teamciv
website, this mainly adresses hardcore players and control freaks.
From my own experience: During a game, I have constantly open:

city dialog, science report, player report, message window

o city dialog for managing cities
o science report for watching progress and especialy for not poping
  up on time critical turns.
o player window for we play in teams
o message window because it contains the most important informations
  (and would pop up each turn anyhow)

In the later game this may be joined by trade/unit report, depending
on the situation and role. The old report headers could be "moved under
another window" but hey, I remove them since 4 years now and not without
reason.

The headers are for players who open a report "from time to time".
In that case it is nice to have also year and name of the own empire
displaid.

I see however the decoration point however. I too would like a nicer
look of freeciv reports. Why not have some people design a font + (small)
header graphics ? Thats way better than redundant information.

Reports affected: cityreport, activeunit report, trade report, science
report.

Ingo

--

Karl-Ingo Friese