[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Re strange msg concerning ais (PR#928)

To: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Christian Knoke <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Re strange msg concerning ais (PR#928)
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2001 19:52:06 -0400

Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 09, 2001 at 02:16:05PM -0700, Christian Knoke wrote:
> > 1.12.1
> >
> > Got the same, this is the client output:
> >
> > Server capability string: +1.11.6 conn_info pop_cost turn attributes
> > new_bonus_tech fund_added
> > Welcome to the Freeciv version 1.12.1-devel Server running at
> > civserver.freeciv.org port 5570.
> > Game: Sapporo may soon grow to size 2.
> > Karamazov: '/ai Stimpos'
> > Game: Stimpos is now AI-controlled.
> > Game: Player 'Stimpos' now has skill level 'easy'.
> > Karamazov: '/hard'
>
> > Game: AI players now have skill level 'Bragu'.
>
> I can't find this message in the source. Either it is constructed at
> runtime or something weird is going on.

Nor I.  Searching for "skill level" or "AI players" doesn't give any
useful runtime-generated strings, either.

In fact, the message "Player 'jshort now has skill level 'easy'."
doesn't exist at all in the CVS code.  The actual message (at least
under my locale) is "jshort is now easy.".  This is the same message you
get playing on the 1.12.0 civserver.freeciv.org servers.

> Can you reproduce this error? Can you try another locale?

Yes, I've been able to reproduce it:

connect to civserver.freeciv.org
do "/ai <yourname>"
do "/hard"

Log follows.

Freeciv is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
under certain conditions; See the "Copying" item on the Help menu.
Now.. Go give'em hell!
Welcome to the Freeciv version 1.12.1-devel Server running at
civserver.freeciv.org port 5563.
/list: List of players:
/list:
/list: jshort (Human) 1 connection:
/list:   jshort from DEVON.REM.CMU.EDU (command access level ctrl),
bufsize=40kb
/list:
jshort: '/ai Stimpos'
/aitoggle: No player by the name of 'Stimpos'.
jshort: '/ai jshort'
Game: jshort is now AI-controlled.
Game: Player 'jshort' now has skill level 'easy'.
AI Mode is now ON.
jshort: '/hard'
Game: AI players now have skill level 'jshort'.

I remember reading that civserver.freeciv.org was built with extra
patches that were dropped into a FTP site somewhere.  The message has to
be coming from the server, right?

Another (unlikely) possibility is that it's a buffer overflow somewhere,
so that one message overflows into the text for another.

Yet another possibility is an out-of-date translation that has a
misplaced %s (which then gets pointed to the player name, luckily
enough).  What local does civserver use, and when it's compiled do all
translations get updated?  How often is it rebuilt?

jason