[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Happiness

To: ChrisK@xxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Happiness
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 16:23:36 +0200

Christian Knoke (ChrisK@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>does anyone know, whether the effect of luxury is limited,
>e.g. to the number of people in the city,
>
>a) in current code
>b) in payciv ?
>
>See below. The example is a city of size 9.
>
>Am Freitag,  7. September 2001 01:43 schrieb Mike Kaufman:
>> On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:57:18PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > in happiness dialog, text says: Luxury: 23 total (maximum 18
>> > usable). That means, only 9 people can be converted to
>> > happyness / contentness, right? But the code doesn't implement
>> > this, I have an example where 3 content --> happy and
>> > 4 content --> happy. That gives 11.
>> >
>> > Code is:
>> >   my_snprintf(bptr, nleft, _("Luxury: %d total (maximum %d usable).
>> > "), pcity->luxury_total, 2*pcity->size);

>> > I don't know what the exact civ rules are.
>>
>> I don't know either, you'll have to send this question to the list.
>
>Christian

In payciv, luxury is limited from city size.
For example:
In a city of size 10, no more than 20 luxury are used.
Any luxury exceding 20 is discarded and has no effect, you simply lose
it.

In freeciv, this limit isn't present.

I think that, sometime ago, Mike Jing pointed this difference and asked
put a limit on luxury. Aftwerwords he implemented a version of the
happiness dialog.
Perhaps you or someone else, ported Mike code on the new_dialog, and he
don't check
that Mike have coded the text of the luxury limit.

The choice are two:
1) Put the luxury limit into freeciv
2) Change happiness text

Ciao, Davide