[Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ client speedup patch (+ optional scrollbuttons)

To: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: GTK+ client speedup patch (+ optional scrollbuttons)
From: Kevin Brown <kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:26:23 -0700

Thue <thue@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 09 August 2001 05:31, Kevin Brown wrote:
> > Comments?
>
> An ortogonal optimization you could implement would be to not redraw
> the overlap from the old center to the new one when recentering the map.
> This should give a huge performance improvement on scrolling.

Yeah, I've been thinking along those lines, too.  I guess it would
have to calculate which part of the map will still be visible, then
blit it to its new location, then fill in the rest using the normal
tile-drawing code (using the cache if necessary/possible).

It means the code might have to deal with overlap between the old and
new regions (anyone know if gdk_draw_pixmap() does the right thing for
this already?).

I guess I can try implementing this and see how it goes.  Should be
interesting.

But I'll work on generalizing the tile cache first (in particular,
fixing it so that it combines sprite masks).

--
Kevin Brown                                           kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    It's really hard to define what "unexpected behavior" means when you're
                       talking about Windows.