[Freeciv-Dev] Introduction and Patch Approval Process

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Introduction and Patch Approval Process
From: Roy Tate <roy_tate@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
  I've been playing FreeCiv for a few months, and monitoring
the development mailing list for a few weeks now.  I just
downloaded release 1.12.0 and did a make on TurboLinux 6.5.
I'll probably read the source code over the next few months,
and then start helping with patches and patch reviews.

I have been programming in C, C++ and Java for 5 to 15 years,
but up to now I have written for DOS/Windows most of the time.

I like the idea of a patch approval process:

1) Developer submits a patch
2) Someone is assigned as a reviewer
3) Reviewer offers feedback on the patch
4) If the patch is recommended by the Reviewer,
   it goes the list for discussion.
5) If the patch is approved by one or more "core" developers
   with experience with the areas of code affected by the
   patch, it becomes a candidate.
6) If 3 core developers approve the patch, it is submitted
   to CVS.

Reviewer's responsibility:
- Check code formatting and style, portability and correctness
- Apply the patch and test the code
- Respond with suggestions, corrections, rejection or approval

The "core" developer is an experienced developer who is familiar
with the code-base, and particularly with the area affected by
the submitted patch.  His responsibilities:
- Check the code just as a Reviewer would
- Apply the patch
- Walk through the code in a debugger or execute the code in
  a test program.
- Recommend approval, rejection or on-hold status

Note that the reviewer doesn't reject the patch, although they
might pass on such a recommendation to the developer.  Also,
please understand that the reviewer is also a developer, but
they don't have to be as familiar with the FreeCiv codebase.
This isn't the whole process, but it is a start.

Regards,

Roy Tate