[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some little patches

To: Gaute B Strokkenes <gs234@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Some little patches
From: Andreas Kemnade <akemnade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 10:54:06 +0200

 > > tcpip.diff: If the tcp/ip protocol is not installed print something
 > >           saying more than "0: socket failed: No error"
 >
 > If I read this correctly you always produce this message, even if
 > TCP/IP is installed.  (Incidentally, is it possible to install Windows
 > without internet support these days?  What's going on here?)

I have had bug reports containing that line above. I had to think very long
to find out what the problem was. These people wanted to play freeciv
on a single computer without having tcp/ip installed. Yes, that's
possible! Sometimes IPX/SPX is installed by default on windows but
not tcp/ip (e.g. on win95).

I don't know a situation in which the socket call should fail when
tcp/ip is properly installed. And socket seems not to set errno...
So it is not easily possible to print meaningful error messages.

(You have to check h_errno, maintain your own table of messages
without using strerror) I don't think it is worth that.

Greetings
Andreas Kemnade