[Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv developers)
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:42:04 +0200

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 02:52:12PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Thue wrote:
> > The argument that was brought up against a QT client the last time this
> > came up was that it would too much trouble to maintain (more copies of
> > client code always adds some initia), and that the KDe users could just
> > use the gtk client.
>
> Someone actually did a QT port of the client a while back.  I think it was the
> first client port to something other than Xaw, unless you count my port to
> Xaw3d.  I don't think they ever actually finished with it.

I didn't know that - do you have any leads?  We could mention it
on the site to feed to people who ask for a KDE port :-)

> People bitched about QT not being under the GPL.

OK, that was a problem, but it has been resolved.  I think portability
was the first issue.  Freeciv was started in C because it was
considered more portable than C++.  The Xaw client is being maintained
for the reason that Xaw was more widely available than GTK+.  This has
changed now.

--
Reinier