[Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: KCiv?
From: Vasco Alexandre Da Silva Costa <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 22:33:43 +0100 (WET DST)

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Neil Stevens wrote:

> Well, I was hoping to do one with someone, when I asked about it a while
> back.  My partner backed out, though, so the idea died.  I decided the
> Freeciv client's too big for me to commit to porting it by myself.
>
> As for C++, C/C++ issues didn't stop a BeOS client from being put into
> CVS.  And Qt probably compiles on more compilers and platforms than

In BeOS the OS level API is C++ based. So i guess there weren't many
options. Same thing would happen with Objective-C on a Cocoa port i guess.
Anyway guess what happened? The BeOS port is much different from the other
clients and it ended up unmaintained and unfinished. The way it is now it
serves noone.

> Freeciv itself does.

Oh really? I kind of doubt that. Besides Qt isn't free on non-UNIX
platforms anyway. And on UNIX platforms you have both Xaw and GTK+ clients
to play with.
Besides it isn't like we're forcing people to install that whole bloated
GNOME thing. You only need gtk+ and imlib, and probably only gtk+ in the
future. You most likely have gtk+ installed for the GIMP already.

If there is any new client port that's a high priority right now its the
native Win32 port.

Of course if someone really wants to do a Qt port i won't be stopping
them. I just feel there are more worthwhile things to do right now.

---