[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Core code cleanups

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Core code cleanups
From: David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 20:06:55 -0700 (PDT)

"Ross W. Wetmore" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, I exported the void_tile object and filled it in with the defaults
> which are memcopyed in in various places before the loop. There were one
> or two routines with their own definitions for the defaults that are now
> using the same initialized values.

void_tile has caused some tricky bugs in the past, and there have
been hopes of eliminating it completely, so I hope your changes
do not encourage its use.

(void_tile is/was used in some cases to have a valid pointer to
a tile struct for (x,y) positions off the real map, used in such
a way that operations on void_tile give appropriate results
without having to special-case the code to handle off-map
coordinates.  The problem is that it can be tricky to ensure
that everything really does come out the right way when possibly
operating on void_tile.)

-- David