Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Upper ascii characters in city names etc.

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Upper ascii characters in city names etc.
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 21:34:35 +0200

As you know the gtk client can bug if the strings it displays contains
upper ascii characters (those that change between charsets) and the
locale is set to C.

I would really like to keep using the national characters. But since
nobody has presented a solution it seems the best option for the 1.12.0
release is to remove the special characters.
I will probably try a bit more (I didn't look that deep, this is not
something I know much about), but assume that this solution will be
applied for the 1.12.0 release.
I have attached a patch to do this by replacing them with
approximations when the rulesets are loaded, ie fx "à" is replaced with
"a". This means that is we find a way of displaying the characters we
don't need to reintroduce them to the rulesets themselves, we just
remove the little bit of code.
People probably have some corrections to the character convertion
itself. Fx, what is the correct approximation for "ç"?

-Thue