Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Communications Protocol

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Communications Protocol
From: "Pete Sergeant" <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 00:01:09 +0200

Hi there,

I want to write a Perl module that can act as a client to a civserver, to
allow me, and anybody else who wants to, AI clients, using Neural Nets.

My stumbling block is the communication between the server and client. I had
naively assumed it would be plaintext, but, of course, it isn't. My C is
weak (as is my Java, because freeciv-java implements it too), and I really
can't grok how it works from the source.

I was wondering if anybody would explain to me how the packets are
constructed, and perhaps write a small piece of documentation on it, as I'm
sure others would find it useful.

Thanks for the time
+Pete

($_='Yw_xUabcdtefgdijktljkotiersjkUzxT