Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compiling with readline < 4.2

To: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Daniel Speyer <speyer1@xxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Compiling with readline < 4.2
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:17:49 +0200

On Monday 02 July 2001 03:45, Daniel Speyer wrote:
> thue@xxxxxxx,Internet writes:

> >> This seems a bit awkward, seeing as Redhat 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0
> >> both ship with readline 4.1.  Shouldn't it be possible to add
> >> something like
> >>
> >> #ifndef RL_STATE_NONE /*Only exists in readline 4.2*/
> >> #define rl_filename_completion_function
> >> filename_completion_function #endif
> >>
> >> to some header file (probably server/stdinhand.h) and do something
> >> similar with freeciv_completion()?  It's not really fair that
> >> users of current distros should have to upgrade a library or
> >> modify source.
> >
> >Blrg.
> >Yes, I see your point.
> >But I really like to just require the latest readline lib; so much
> >cleaner... And readline is not critical for running a server...
> >
> >-Thue
>
> I certainly see your point about clemliness, but this would kill
> Freeciv's out-o
> f-the-box ( ;) ) installability for unneeded functionality.  Maybe
> there's a thi
> rd way?
>
> Would it be possible to include a script that fixes the source or a
> set of diffs
>  (a sed-based shell script could probably go without alteration
> longer than a di
> ff could) to make installing with old readline easier?  Maybe even
> make ./config
> ure take care of it automatically?  (I really don't know if that's
> possible).
>
> In any case, ease of installation is one of the few points in which
> proprietary
> software is often ahead of us, so it would be good to make this nice.

The problem is that the interface prior to 4.2 was unofficial, and the
apperantly feel free to remove it. (As you can see they already broke
compatability somewhat.) So if we let people compile against the old
one freeciv may break when they upgrade readline.

The new interface in 4.2 is official, and will not break.

I actually made an exceptionally ugly patch which will work until the
readline people decide it wont work any more.

-Thue