Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: MacOS X freeciv installation

To: Ben Reichardt <breic@xxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: MacOS X freeciv installation
From: Stan Shebs <shebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 22:28:12 -0700

Ben Reichardt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed freeciv 1.11.4 on my MacOS X system.  Basically, everything
> worked fine except I had to edit the Makefiles after configuring to replace
> 'CC = cc' with 'CC = cc --traditional-cpp'.

Incidentally, we're deprecating this use of -traditional-cpp, because
it normally has a different use.  Instead, I added a '-no-cpp-precomp'
flag that runs GNU cpp instead of cpp-precomp (which has some limitations,
and doesn't speed up compilation unless you're actually using Cocoa
or Carbon APIs).

> It runs perfectly with
> enlightenment/gtk (this is in rootless Xwindows, not in OS X's native Aqua
> display).  But perhaps for the next release you can update the configure
> script so it changes the Makefiles for you if you run './configure
> --host=ppc'?  That would be great for all the Mac users out there.

"ppc" might also mean LinuxPPC; the triple you really want is
powerpc-apple-darwin1.3.  An up-to-date config.guess from gnu.org
will know about Darwin, no need to specify --host explicitly.

Stan Shebs
shebs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
shebs@xxxxxxxxx