Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Trouble Staring CIV

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Freeciv] Re: Trouble Staring CIV
From: Thue <thue@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 19:39:59 +0200

On Friday 11 May 2001 19:26, Erik Sigra wrote:
> fredagen den 11 maj 2001 19:00 skrev Jason Short:
> > It might even be worthwhile to create a quickstart mode for the server,
> > such as
> >
> > civserver --quickstart
> >
> > which does the above things (sets aifill 3 and starts after the first
> > connection) automatically; and possibly even to enable the client
> > to run the above automatically: "Connection refused.  (No server found?
> > See README file for info.)  Do you want to quickstart the server?" if
> > there is a failed connection to localhost.
>
> This can be done if you create a file called "quickstart" containing the
> command "set aifill 3" and run "civserver -r quickstart". But I don't think
> it can start the game automatically after the first connection anymore,
> that feature was removed a while ago for some reason.

It was removed as it was easier to do than make it an option, and nobody had
a use for it. It was basically just an old hack.
And it wouldn't work in this case either - to make it autostart after the
first connection you would need to set maxplayers to 1, and then you couldn't
set aifill to 3...

I think a better approch than a hack like that would be to let the client
control the server, as done in the patches by Urban Mueller. Those were not
applied because nobody with CVS access had the time to apply them.
At some point something like those should be applied; from my own first
encounter with freeciv I remember very well that starting the first game was
not easy.

-Thue