Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Accented characters in GTK (PR#752)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Accented characters in GTK (PR#752)
From: dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:16:58 -0700 (PDT)

Full_Name: Daniel Speyer
Version: 1.11.5-devel
Client: Gtk+
OS: GNU/Linux RH6.2+VA
Submission from: (NULL) (24.2.150.207)

The current client (CVS Apr21) seems to be treating all accented characters as
null characters in standard widgets.  To experience the bug, simply play as the
Dunadun (or rather, the "D'\bunadun", so the "D" in the 'choose nation' dialog).
 Any message containing an accented character (e.g. in a city name) will stop at
that character.

This can be very problematic.  For example "And'\bunie grows to size 2" becomes
"And", loosing the entirety of the message.  It is worth noting that the names
on the map (canvas) appear properly, but *anything* in a GTK widget fails.  (I
haven't checked Xaw, so I don't know if it works there.)

I hope this is useful.  If you need more information, feel free to contact me.