Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: researchspeed patch

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: researchspeed patch
From: Arien Malec <arien_malec@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 17:30:13 -0800 (PST)

OK, here's another take. Changes:

I've used researchcost as the variable to replace "researchspeed" (the
server variable) and game.techlevel (the element of the civ_game
struct).

Advantages:

1) "Cost" conveys the idea that things get slower as the cost gets
higher (whereas speed, or rate convey the idea that research should get
faster the higher the number)
2) There are already free|dipl|conquercost variable dealing with
research costs
3) Shorter than researchcostfactor....

Disadvangatage:

1) Those cost variable are the cost in researchpoints you lose when
something happens, rather than the costs required, so the analogy is a
bit misleading
2) It's not really the cost, but the cost differential for the n+1st
tech over the nth tech

All in all, I think it's better than researchspeed, and shorter than
any better name I can think of.

I've also changed the game_load code fall back to game.techlevel if
game.researchcost doesn't exist, rather than checking on game.version,
since that's the Freeciv way of doing things. I'll worry about it later
if I really change game.tech to game.techlevel, but I'm inclined to
leave it alone for now. Removing the ambiguity between techlevel the
server variable and game.techlevel (= researchcost) is the important
thing, IMHO.

I've left alone the comment in aicity.c about fallback occuring when
techlevel = 0. I think that was talking about the server variable, and
not game.techlevel (see how that gets confusing?)

I tried to put in an alias for resarchspeed to preserve backwards
compatability, but it ends up being a pain, since you can't do "set res
10" anymore. I would think that the easier way of writing a script
would be to use saved games anyway...

Arien