Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is there a similar effort for games like doom or count

To: steve ng <ngsteve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is there a similar effort for games like doom or counterstrike or any 3D games?
From: Jules Bean <jules@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 12:20:42 +0000

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 04:14:52AM -0800, steve ng wrote:
> I was quite surprised that there was a free version of
> civilisation(freediv) available on the net. Great
> work! I would like to know if any of you have ever
> come across a free version of doom or counterstrike or
> anything similar in 3D simulation or shootemup games.I
> am interested in viewing the source code for it and
> learning and seeing how games like these are created.

That's pretty off-topic here, but briefly:

Quake and doom source were both released. One quake effort is
http://www.quakeforge.net/, one doom effort is vavoom (don't have a
URL, web search should get it for you). There's a free flight sim but
I can't remember the name.  Good resources are
http://happypenguin.org/ and http://linuxgames.com/ --- although
obviously a game on linux needn't be a free game, and a free game
needn't be on linux, there is a strong enough correlation that these
resources are useful (and despite their names, most the games they
report on work on many OSes).

Another good place to look is libsdl.org, many many free games use SDL
and are listed on the page.

Jules

(I keep the cc: to the list just so that the people there know the
question has been answered, but further discussion should probably be
off-list).