Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is the number of improvements limited?

To: "Miguel Farah F." <miguel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Is the number of improvements limited?
From: Ben Webb <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 12:54:01 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2001, Miguel Farah F. wrote:

> As you know, I am working on the Future Tech modpack. I finally got off
> the initial design stage, and proceeded on: I wrote the new
> units.ruleset and new techs.ruleset without any problems.
>
> However, after I wrote buildings.ruleset and tested it, I got the
> following error message from the server (which aborted):
>
> 0: Bad number of buildings: 75 (./future_buildings.ruleset)
(etc.)

        Unfortunately, both the numbers of buildings/improvements and
their effects are hard-coded into FreeCiv at present (see also the recent
discussion re: the Lighthouse wonder). Although there has been some work
on "generalised" improvements, at present all the code does is read in the
rulesets and store the data. I personally am working on rectifying this
(as part of the - largely inactive - FreecivAC project at
http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~stewart/fcindex.html) so would be
interested to hear of any similar efforts...

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"It is quite a three-pipe problem."