Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] ICS - a thought from CivII

To: <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] ICS - a thought from CivII
From: "SamBC" <sambc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:51:20 -0000

Apologies if this has been said before, I haven't finished reading the
threads yet, but I wanted to say this while I remember.

IIRC, in Civ/CivII, small cities tended to produce very little trade -
it was not unusual for a badly-placed, or overcrowded (by other cities)
city to have 1 trade only even at size 2.

This in turn prevented science until a city had grown slightly - past
two in many cases. In ICS the problem would be worse, as most squares
(IIRC) did not bear trade - only rivers and sea unless improved. You
can't get that many cities to share them.

Also, in Civ/II rivers seemed to be fewer and farther between - just an
observation.

Now, trying to wage a successful war with slowly developing technology
is hard - even if you can outnumber your opponent, if he can out-tech
you a level or two you won't beat him.

And finally, I'm sure cities in Civ/II grew faster then in freeciv - do
we automatically irrigate the city square, &so on &so forth?

SamBC