Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dips. OOPS please read this one!

To: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Dips. OOPS please read this one!
From: Tony Stuckey <stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:58:12 -0600

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 09:50:57AM -0500, R. Miller wrote:
> Could you just clarify something, please - what do you mean when you state
> that
> "Settlers cost way more than other units..."? - build cost or cost to bribe
> them?

        Bribe cost.  Build cost was always 2N+((N*N)/20) where N was the
shields remaining to build the unit, and doubled if the unit was
not even started yet.

> My point is that the Civilization II Official Strategy Guide (page 307)
> states the following :

        I've never seen this book.  It's probably one that should be high
on my list of things to acquire.

>          Bribe Cost = Bribe Cost / 2, if the enemy unit is a Settler.

        Wow.  Like I said -- I just remember bribe costs for Settlers being
1200 or more gold each, and other units being nowhere near that expensive.

> Here are other details which may be of interest to you.
>
> If the enemy has no Palace, then distance is set to 32,
> If the enemy is a Barbarian, then distance is set to 16,

        Yes, barbarians were always bribed at the "cheapest" level normally
seen.  I don't recall ever trying to bribe enemy units after destroying
their capital.

> If the enemy government is Communism, then distance is set to 10
> And it is impossible to bribe the units of a civilisation that is ruled by
> Democracy.

        Yes, the Democracy effect is in the game manual.
--
Anthony J. Stuckey                              stuckey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"And they said work hard, and die suddenly, because it's fun."