Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Inertia

To: virtual-freeciv.org-freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Inertia
From: "R. Miller" <richere@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:44:09 -0500

Hello,

I want to submit to you a idea I have always hoped Civ might introduce - I call it inertia.

It always bugged me that if I took over a an enemy's city (with a spy or by conquest) that everyone instaneously started working for my nation at the same productivity level as
my other "subjects".
I would like a performance penalty to be introduced. The workers would initially produced at, say, 30% of maximum, and their productivity would slowly increase with time to an eventual 100%.

I would also like inertia to be applied to the effects of wonders. For example, happiness would initially increase only by 30% (with Michelangelo or Bach), and then gradually increase to its maximum. A similar formula could
apply to the Pyramids, Isaac Newton's College, and other wonders.

FreeCiv have already introduced inertia with Leonardo - gradually upgrading units instead of all at once. I really like that. I still make Leonardo a top priority, but in Civ2 it always seemed to me an excessive
advantage. Thanks.

Dynamic systems involving people do not change instantaneously; I would like FreeCiv to reflect that.

What do you think?

Robaire