Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] build graphics code and eye candy (and call for more)

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] build graphics code and eye candy (and call for more)
From: John Heidemann <johnh@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:42:02 -0800

The recent discussion about eye candy prompted me to re-post my patch
providing build graphics that pop up when you build wonders.
I've revised the patch against today's CVS version of freeciv.

The revised patch is at
<http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PUBLIC/build_graphics_010219.diff>
against freeciv as Dec. 29.
The data for the patch is at
<http://www.isi.edu/~johnh/PUBLIC/build.tar.gz>.

The data file includes graphics for:
apollo
collossus
copernicus
darwin
great
hanging
lighthouse
manhatten
pyramids
seti
united
womens

Missing wonders include:
asmiths
cure
eiffel
hanging
hoover
isaac
jsbach
leonardo
liberty
magellan
marco
michelangelo
oracle
richards
shakespeare
suntzu
wall

I'm happy to collect images for the missing wonders and periodically
post them to the list.  Please send me e-mail if you'd like to provide
an image for a missing wonder.  Periodically I'll post updates.
(Although I actually have found images for many of these, I was not
able to obtain permission to distribute them.)  For people with
images, please send URLs (not actual images) to images that you own
(or that you've gotten permission to redistribute).

One of the remaining technical comments was Xaw client support.
I looked at doing this, and it's non-trivial because Xaw doesn't have
good pixmap support.  I suggest that xaw support for this add-on is
not necessary, because:
  - Freeciv's capabilities can allow the xaw client to indicate
    that it doesn't want messages.
  - People who care about eye candy for build graphics probably
    care about eye-candy for widgets and so are already using
    some other front-end.

(As my patch is provided, xaw and gtk are built with the same
capabilities.  I'm open to advice about how best to change this so
that xaw will not request build_graphics.)

In addition to this, I'm still looking for feedback about getting the
patch in to CVS or what's missing and still needs to be fixed.

   -John Heidemann