Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2001:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Update] game_info packet fix

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: [Update] game_info packet fix
From: "Mike Jing" <miky40@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:49:26 -0500

David Pfitzner <dwpfitzner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote

Its a protocol change in the sense that if your client starts making
use of these values, it matters alot whether the server is pre-patch
or post-patch.

True. But since the protocol is going to be broken soon anyway, it should not be a problem. In any case, the happiness display would not work properly with older servers, but I am not going to break compatibility completely at this time.

I'm wondering why you actually want these values anyway? I would have thought the Happiness display would display values calculated in the server and communicated to the client, whereas if you want these values it suggests you're putting duplicate calculations in
the client?

Most of the values are indeed calculated in the server, e.g. ppl_happy[i], etc., and that's where the real protocol change will be, because at the moment, only the last element of the array (ppl_happy[4], etc) is sent in the city_info packet, and the happiness display will need them all. In addition, I am trying to show the player exactly how empire size affect happiness, i.e. what is the initial number of happy citizens (unhappysize), what is the threshold for the empire size penalty (cityfactor+empire_size_mod), and how much is the penalty (one unhappy for every empire_size_inc cities over the threshold). There is no complicated calculations involved. I am just showing these numbers to the player.

Hope this clears things up.

Mike